A Sad Day

General Topics

A Sad Day

Postby Squid Row » Thu May 30, 2019 1:46 pm

Today is Thursday...May 30

Today is supposed to be the day I load up the Squid Row 3 and head to Morehead City for MAD

It is so sad to realize that it is not happening this year

:cry: :cry: :cry:

So far I know of a few people that are interested in getting the chapter back up and running and I know this will take some time but it still is a really sad day for me personally

I hope others will post up and offer to help get this event back for 2020. :beg:
One. Simple. THANKS!
Squid Row
MAD BOD

Re: A Sad Day

Postby ScottK » Fri May 31, 2019 12:06 am

Agreed Rich...I too was thinking of my frantic loading of supplies, gear, truck ready, whiteboards, paperwork, license waivers, lights, extension cords, antenna, radio, basic battle plan, bungees, duct tape, cable ties, tape, staplers, paper clips, markers, pens, clipboards, tools, radios, batteries....you get the idea....preparing a speech, thinking "What did I forget" and making sure I had the kitchen sink with me loaded and ready to roll to MHC.

Proud to volunteer alongside all the others who have gave so much of themselves to culminate to a certain moment in time. The time we ALL gather to say....One, Simple, THANKS!

Hoping we will be able to do this again in 2020......Lets make it (ROCK< GREAT< AWESOME< HAPPEN) again! :flag
Cobia 244 ~ Twin F115's
Through history few have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.
ScottK
Admiral

Postby murphbo » Fri May 31, 2019 12:53 pm

Same feeling here in Beaufort. Dontcatchmany and I were e: mailing about that fact yesterday.
Should be loading up for Hobo Junction!
murphbo
Admiral

Postby Alikat » Fri May 31, 2019 4:34 pm

This has definitely left a hole in my heart. Please note that there will be every attempt to get this back next year. Please note that it will take everyone’s help to get this back together but I know we will be able to do it. We will be reaching out to everyone for ideas and leadership. It will take some stepping out of some comfort zones into areas we thought we were too old to do anymore but the cause is too important not to make the effort.
:good: :flag
Wellcraft WA-23
Alikat
Admiral

Postby LookinToHookem » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:06 am

Last year was the first year since 2009 I didn’t come rolling into the Caribbe Inn the Thursday before the event. Last year flew into Raleigh at 6:00am Saturday morning from Vancouver BC and headed straight for MHC and not getting there until Saturday morning bothered me, so needless to say this isn’t setting well with me. Haven’t said much on here or any other forums because just hated to admit defeat. We have to bring it back, way too important not to...on a smaller scale...maybe...BUT BACK.

:salute: :flag :salute: :flag :salute: :flag
Albemarle 247 Express
LookinToHookem
Admiral

Postby Gail Wins » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:42 pm

WELL STU , IT'S ABOUT TIME YOU SHOWED UP :grin: :grin: WAS BEGINNING TO THINK YOU'D BEEN BANNED FROM PUBLIC VIEW !!! GOOD TO KNOW YOU'RE STILL KICKIN , ARE YOU GONNA TRY TO DO S-PORT OR CHARLESTON , I PLAN TO TRY TO MAKE BOTH IF POSSIBLE...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
When you see "Old Glory" waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our
fallen hero's that make it wave. author unknown
Gail Wins
Admiral

Postby marshwabbit » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm

yes, very sad, but i think it happened for a reason.

i hated to think i wouldn't get up there this year, but when the event was cancelled, i asked my son if he'd like to go up anyway, and he took me up on it.

thursday the wind was S at 20 when we rolled up to the Caribee Inn mid-afternoon. i had called Mr. Polowski the week before to see how he was doing, and if we could come see him. i was happy to hear he was doing much better, and we had a nice time visiting him and Mrs. Rachael.

friday morning, it was still blowing, so we went and did some more visiting with my local Morehead fishing buddy Mike Stein. picked up our fishing licenses at chasing tails, and thought we'd launch the boat. wind was still howling, but we thought about putting over to Morehead, but the first rain front was coming, so we turned around and went to the dock. 10 minutes later it was dumping. and it continued to the rest of the afternoon. we popped some suds open, and watched the LPGA golf that was being played 3 miles from my house. anyway, the captains meeting would have been washed out.

the wind swapped around overnight, and we were able to get out the inlet, but there were 2-3 swells at 7 sec. still rolling in. the water was dirty and stirred up, so we rode over and soaked baits in the hook in the outgoing tide. we managed to catch 4-5 bluefish, and we saw a couple cobia swim by. it was a beautiful day, and wind died as it swapped around to the SW. once the tide stacked up, we went over to the lighthouse, and strolled through the keepers house before running the backside home. plenty on water at the S curve. gave my son the 2 dollar boat tour of Beaufort and Morehead before we got back to the dock at 4. by 5, the storms were on their way, so we pulled the boat out just in time. it continued to rain the rest of the evening, but everyone in Morehead was thankful for the rain.

we had a great father /son weekend, but i missed seeing everyone.
marshwabbit
Admiral

Postby tlpblessed » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:13 am

Hey Rich and others,

I'm sure it was strange for you and the others not to head east that weekend, although I've not been around as long as y'all have, it was a strange feeling for me as well. It didn't feel right being at home, although my parents came up from FL for a visit so it kept my mind occupied. I still felt like I should have been busy as hell all day, LOL.
[color=#8000BF]HUG a United States Hero today[/color]
tlpblessed
Admiral

Return to General Chat